Hi, Ben,

I put 80/78 = 1.02564102564103 in as "Pitch Factor" in Samplitude and it
gave me 0.44 half steps (semitones) and the length is 97.5% of the
original length. Please use a RESAMPLE algorithm, not one of the
algorithms that changes pitch without changing time.

To confirm, I put in a Pitch Factor of 2 and it did indeed tell me 12
half steps (semitones). As you know, the semitone is the pitch
difference between any two adjacent piano keys:

A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A

And you see 12 spaces = semitones.

This begs the issue of "temperament" where the pitch differences aren't
quite equal and the details of that are beyond way beyond what I
know...I only know it exists and that there are varying versions.

The interval multiplier is 2^(1/12) or 1.0594763

With this you should be able to adapt/calculate anything.

If you calculate 0.02564/0.059476 the result is 0.4312 (which I assumed
Samplitude didn't properly round but "ceiling'd."

A quarter tone is very noticeable to musicians.

Another measure of pitch is "cents." Google just came up with this quick
explanation:

"Cents. Musical intervals are often expressed in cents, a unit of pitch
based upon the equal tempered octave such that one equal tempered
semitone is equal to 100 cents. An octave is then 1200ยข and the other
equal tempered intervals can be obtained by adding semitones: If f1 = Hz
and f2 = Hz then the interval is cents."

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Music/cents.html

This link has a calculator and other links including "temperament."

It also claims that 5 cents is the just noticeable difference in pitch.
Therefore the change of 0.44 semitones or 44 cents is about nine times
the just noticeable difference and clearly worth doing.

Cheers,

Richard