This is an excellent point, and definitely part of a larger, ongoing issue as evidenced by the development of the Library of Congress Genre/Form Terms (LCGFT). It can be a challenge in some cases to draw a distinction between intellectual content, format (e.g., a dissertation, or a novel), and particular manifestation.

I'd be interested to hear how other international libraries have approached this issue, but the LCGFTs demonstrate that it's been a head-scratcher for quite a while. It will be interesting to see how future iterations of EAD respond to developments elsewhere in the field.

Maristella Feustle

From: Encoded Archival Description List <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Jane Stevenson <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 3:29:19 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Genre and Form

HI there,

i’ve never been quite clear about the <genreform> tag.

The EAD2002 and EAD3 guide says:

"A term that identifies the types of material being described, by naming the style or technique of their intellectual content (genre); order of information or object function (form); and physical characteristics. Examples include: account books, architectural drawings, portraits, short stories, sound recordings, and videotapes.”

But genre is a style, like ‘gothic’ architecture or ‘romantic’ literature or ‘garage’ music. So, you might say the ‘form’ is a short story or a videotape, but the genre is ‘comedy’ or ‘documentary’.

It just doesn’t seem like these are the same thing and I’ve never understood why they are put together.

I just wondered if anyone has any thoughts on this. I’ve just never been able to convey it to our contributors in a way that makes sense to me because describing something as a ’short story’ seems very different from describing its style as, say, ‘romantic’ in terms of genre. I’ve never understood why we put these together.

cheers,
Jane

Jane Stevenson
Archives Hub Service Manager