Hi Jane!

My understanding has always been that the <genreform> element in EAD was
intended to correspond to the 655 field in MARC. If you read the 655 field
definition at http://loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd655.html, you'll notice
the language describing <genreform> is very similar.

The wisdom of mimicking MARC in EAD can certainly be debated, but at least
there is a reason behind the mashup that is <genreform>.

Now the reasoning why MARC combined genre, form, and physical
characteristics into 655 predate me, so I can't shed much light there. I
have always assumed it was a practicality intended to save a MARC field or
two.

Mike