I'll follow on to what Ethan said with a recommendation for a step one may
take if one wishes to distinguish further between genre and form and/or
prepare one's data for RDF or other modeling which allow that distinction.
In EAD3, although not in EAD 2002, the <genreform> element has an option to
use @localtype. This would allow an institution to indicate a functional
difference between information about genres and formats in the element.

Ruth

--
http://eadiva.com | http://ruthtillman.com/ | @ruthbrarian