It is perfectly acceptable.  When the date is known it should be added to the access points.  An additional qualifier can be used to break a conflict, e.g.

400 1  Kim, Lee $c (Lawyer), $d 1956-

Adam Schiff

_____________________________
From: Alexis Zirpoli <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 9:06 AM
Subject: Re: Assistance with NAF: no2017045912 (Joongi Kim)
To: <[log in to unmask]>

​Jesse and Erica,

We at University of Michigan Law Library were in the process of creating a NAR for this person, when I happened upon the one that is now in distribution. As Erica mentioned, we the ALA romanized form of the name conflicts with the AAP of an undifferentiated record I wasn't going to touch the UPN, given that I am not skilled in the vernacular). One of the catalogers here had discovered that the author was born in 1956, but qualifying the romanized form would conflict with the AAP of another NAR.

We had the idea of adding the qualifier of (Lawyer)​ to the romanized name.  But I wonder how acceptable it is to add such a qualifier to a Variant if the AAP is not also qualified. I'm interested to hear others' thoughts.

- Alexis