From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Wilson, Pete
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 13:46
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PCCLIST] Queston about "Works" authority record with qualifier

Hi folks,

I am curious about a “Works” name-title authority record.

The NACO authority with heading

Lonergan, Bernard J. F. $t Works. $f 1988

was recently changed to

Lonergan, Bernard J. F. $t Works (Lonergan Research Institute)

I don’t believe this is legitimate RDA usage, is it?

My understanding is that there is only one “Works” work for each author, possibly with multiple expressions.  The parenthetical qualifier here is at the work level, and thus distinguishes this “work” from other “works” that constitute the complete works of Lonergan.  (Getting through these multiple senses of “work” is a lot of work.)  That does not seem to be correct.

Thanks!

Pete Wilson
Vanderbilt University