From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Holden, Christopher
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 16:32
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Queston about "Works" authority record with qualifier

I think the section on aggregates in LRM might solve this particular problem of multiple collections of an author’s “complete works.” From page 65 of the Feb. 2016 draft:

The process of aggregating the expressions is itself an intellectual or artistic effort and therefore meets the criteria for a work. In the process of creating the aggregate manifestation, the aggregator creates an aggregating work. This type of work has also been referred to as the glue, binding, or the mortar that transforms a set of individual expressions into an aggregate. This effort may be relatively minor—two existing novels published together—or it may represent a major effort resulting in an aggregate that is significantly more than a sum of its parts (for example an anthology). An aggregating work is not a discrete section or even necessarily an identifiable part of the resulting manifestation and does not contain the aggregated works themselves.

There’s a handy diagram on page 66. Because an aggregating work is not treated as being in a whole-part relationship with the aggregated works themselves, I think this would allow for two different “aggregating works” that each comprise the same set of individual works, but are still treated as different entities.** How this would actually be described in RDA remains to be seen.

**(Yes, technically it’s more complicated than this, but this is a perhaps-futile attempt to keep the jargon to a minimum.)

(These opinions are my own and not my employer’s)
Chris
====
Chris Holden
Cataloger