This is an interesting problem, but it's not a problem with the authority toolkit, per se. There's something wrong with the data either as it lives in OCLC, or as it's being presented in Connexion.

Here's the last 670 field in no2016046819:

Looks perfectly reasonable. But if a Connexion macro asks for the text of that field, the stuff following the first "Penelope" in subfield $b is not as it appears. Following the final "e" in "Penelope" one would expect to be handed a space, and then a "1". Instead, one is handed character hex 0F, a space (hex 20), character hex 0E, and another space. Four bytes instead of the expected 2 bytes, and an unclear path to the reconstruction of the original text. (In case you're wondering, U+0F20 and U+0F2E are Tibetan characters. Reversing the bytes in case you're feeling big-endian [I think] we get U+200F and U+200E, the right-to-left and left-to-right markers.)

The record in the MARC distribution (it came in issue 16.15) does not have this problem.

OCLC: Can you explain this one?

Gary L. Strawn

Northwestern University Libraries

Northwestern University

1970 Campus Drive, Evanston IL 60208-2300

e-mail: [log in to unmask]

office: 847/467-7240

storage facility: 847/467-4619

authority toolkit documentation: http://bit.ly/1Hl1jST