Interesting – it never occurred to me to do that. I find LC is usually fast enough getting the 053s back to me that it would actually tie things up longer if I replaced/added the record with a “provisional” 05. I think it would be in distribution for longer than it would take LC to get back to me, and then I’d have to wait for it to unlock before I could touch it again.

Anyway, I don’t think that’s what’s happening with this one since it was last replaced back in August and the last symbol in the 040 is DLC. But it’s interesting to hear that some institutions do this!

Thanks, all – I will submit an 053 request to LC as usual for this one.

Rich

Rich Murray

Catalog Librarian for Spanish & Portuguese Languages and Rare Books

Duke University Libraries

Durham, North Carolina