Hello,

I recently cataloged a photobook comprised mainly of portraits of undocumented immigrants to the United States. The “correct” Library of Congress subject heading is “Illegal aliens,” but I am very conflicted and very hesitant to use it in a record. Given the plans to change the heading and the recent issues around legislation of this and other subject headings, how are other institutions handling works about undocumented immigrants? Are you using the heading as it currently exists? Does anyone know when we can anticipate hearing from SACO on the status of the proposal to change the heading?

Many thanks,

Liz

Liz Adams

Special Collections Cataloger

David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library

Duke University

919.613.1010

http://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/