Pete,

I guess it depends on how you interpret RDA 6.27.1.9: “Include additional elements in authorized access points if needed to distinguish the access point for a work from one that is the same or similar but represents a different work.”

Are two collections of complete works, edited by different editors or published by different publishers, different works? I honestly don’t know. ON the one hand the collection should be more or less the same in terms of what texts are included; on the other, there are a million ways it could be different (e.g. different order of texts, different commentary, perhaps even different Vorlagen if it’s a translation).

I think it might add to the confusion that an author’s “Complete works” and a FRBR:work are the same word but maybe not the same concept.

It does seem to me that, while under AACR2 we frequently used uniform titles as collocating devices as well as means of identifying resources, under RDA the movement is toward only using them for identification. See for example the effort to move away from uniform titles like “Work name. $l Language” for translations, and instead specifically identify which translation is being accessed. So I wouldn’t be at all surprised if practice is moving toward using access points for works that specifically identify the collection rather than just bring all collections together.

Benjamin Abrahamse

Cataloging Coordinator

Acquisitions & Discovery Enhancement

MIT Libraries