Thanks, Jessica and everyone!

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jessica Janecki
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 1:22 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Queston about "Works" authority record with qualifier

From page 466 of Maxwell’s Handbook for RDA

“6.2.2.10.1 Complete Works: “The conventional collective title “Works” is used for a compilation that purports to be the complete works of a person…There may be many compilations of the [complete] works of an author. For cataloging purposes these may all be considered the same aggregate work, although they may represent many different expressions of that aggregate work. Therefore the title works itself would probably never need to be qualified to distinguish it from another aggregate work with the same title.”

As has been pointed out, different compilations of complete (or purported to be complete) works are different expressions. Traditionally they have been distinguished by the date in $f.

*However*, if what you have is a works selections situation, then yes, they are different aggregate works and need to be distinguished.

Jessica