CW,

I know that in 372 fields we subdivide using "--" rather than $x. Examples of it appear in several NACO modules, but I was wondering if there's an actual instruction outside of a NACO module.

None of the examples in RDA at 9.15.1.3 demonstrate that usage, nor do any at 11.10.1.3 [which makes sense, MARC coding is of little importance to RDA]

It doesn't appear in the DCM Z1 under 372, nor in the LC MARC Guidelines Supplement for 372.

It isn't in the MARC standard for 372 either.

So again, I 100% know to use it, but my question is: beyond a NACO module/power point -- is this written anywhere? Or perhaps just inferred because $x isn't an allowed subfield of 372?

thanks!

in solidarity,

Netanel Ganin
Metadata Coordinator -- Hebrew Specialty
Brandeis University

My pronouns are he/him/his