On rare occasions, I actually want to transcribe text verbatim in a 670, and when I do that, I use quotation marks to show that it is a verbatim transcription.  But anything in a 670 $b that is not in quotes is, by implication, the essence of the information gleaned from the resource, and is not necessarily (but yet still could be) a direct transcription.  At least, that is my understanding from the training that I have received.

The Wikipedia example under RDA 29.6.1.3 cited below appears to me as a great example of an ideal way of putting information into the 670:  copy and paste pieces of information from an electronic source.  There is no prohibition against modifying the data into another form, but—unless the result is an increase in clarity—the only thing being accomplished is putting in extra work.

Kevin M. Randall

Principal Serials Cataloger

Northwestern University Libraries

Northwestern University