From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Wilson, Pete [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2017 15:51
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] recording date of birth in field 670 of name authority records

It seems like all we really need to do in the 670 $b is give the facts clearly and unambiguously.  We aren�t transcribing text�we�re getting and giving information.  It may be pretty clear to most that the date 1954-08-03 (from the 8.12.1.3 example) means August 3 rather than March 8, but I�d spell that out just to make sure.  I see no value in attempting to record the exact text as found.

Pete Wilson

Vanderbilt University