Hi John

Not so much manufactured as recorded. Strobe discs are dependent on a
specific number of lines, which vary according to the frequency of the
blinking of the light source. American 60Hz strobe discs require 92 bars,
which gives a speed of 78.26 RPM, but in countries where 50Hz is the power
frequency, the strobe discs require 77 bars, which gives a speed of 77.92
RPM. These are thus the speeds at which electrically driven record players
were factory calibrated, and thus the speeds at which the record companies
in their respective areas recorded their material.

Record companies on both sides of the Atlantic regularly exchanged
material; Jack Hylton's HMV records were issued on Victor here, for
example, and Duke Ellington's Victor records were issued on HMV there. But
these were master pressings, not dubbed and speed-adjusted. Presumably the
0.44% difference in speed is either unnoticed or tolerated by most
listeners, since the playing equipment for each would be slightly incorrect
for the other country.

Michael Shoshani
Chicago