On 5/2/17 5:15 PM, Eli Bildirici wrote:

> 'Sending encoded 12 bit values to a linear DAC will surely give horribly distorted audio.'
> Aha. If that is the case, then can we presume that when output via S/PDIF, a 12/32 DAT has already had its bits mapped to 16-bit linear values? That would be good news for my purposes, I think...

In order to produce analog output from a 12 bit recording, presumably
the DAT machine converts to 16 bit linear, which it then sends to its
internal 16 bit DAC.  Thus, the sensible choice would be to send the
converted 16 bit values to the S/PDIF output -- but I have no idea if
that's what actually happens.  If you listen to the 32 kHz S/PDIF
output, and you hear undistorted audio that sounds similar to the DAT
machine's analog output, then I think you can assume that is what's
happening.

-- John Chester