OK great, there is hope! I will try to play back via a CM6206 capture card (spec sheet (http://www.bramcam.nl/NA/8663-XS/CM6206.pdf) indicates 32kHz input support - see page 15) or our PowerMac
G5 and hopefully report back. Thanks a lot for this insight!

Eli

May 2 2017 5:39 PM, "John Chester"  wrote:
 On 5/2/17 5:15 PM, Eli Bildirici wrote:
 'Sending encoded 12 bit values to a linear DAC will surely give horribly distorted audio.'
Aha. If that is the case, then can we presume that when output via S/PDIF, a 12/32 DAT has already
had its bits mapped to 16-bit linear values? That would be good news for my purposes, I think...

In order to produce analog output from a 12 bit recording, presumably the DAT machine converts to
16 bit linear, which it then sends to its internal 16 bit DAC. Thus, the sensible choice would be
to send the converted 16 bit values to the S/PDIF output -- but I have no idea if that's what
actually happens. If you listen to the 32 kHz S/PDIF output, and you hear undistorted audio that
sounds similar to the DAT machine's analog output, then I think you can assume that is what's
happening.

-- John Chester
Eli Bildirici
(347) 837-8337