This requires ontology fix for bf:seriesStatement in the bf:Instance. Instead of using bf:seriesStatement "African series", "Department of State publication" ; … we can introduce something like the following:
bf:seriesStatement [ a bf:SeriesStatement;
rdfs:label "Department of State publication";
bf:SeriesEnumeration "7902" ],
[ a bf:SeriesStatement;
rdfs:label "African series";
bf:SeriesEnumeration "43" ];
We change the expected value for the property seriesStatement from literal to class SeriesStatement. We can also introduce the class SeriesEnumeration as a subclass of SeriesStatement.
Attached is the OCLC MARC converted to BIBFRAME 2.0 and serialized in turtle format.
I will address hasSeries in bf:Work in a separate message. The attached file doesn’t make any change to hasSeries in bf:Work.
When a title is issued in multiple series, BIBFRAME does not have a way to associate each series with its numbering. For example, looking at OCLC #45898, as converted by the LC program, we find the following.
bf:seriesStatement "African series",
"Department of State publication" ;
In neither the Work nor the Instance can enumeration be associated with its series for the purpose of search or display. This is a significant step back from current practice.