There are also statements of responsibility relating to series and parallel statements of responsibility relating to series that may also need to be taken care of as well. These are separate elements in RDA, although they aren't currently separately subfielded in MARC. The ISBD "slash" is currently used to separate the series title from the series statement of responsibility.
And MARC $3 also needs to be retained and associated with the proper statements and numbering, e.g.
This is certainly one way to fix the problem.
It needs a little more elaboration because of the presence of ISSNs, part names, part numbers and parallel titles in the series statement. A full fix to the ontology needs to take them into account as well.
This requires ontology fix for bf:seriesStatement in the bf:Instance. Instead of using bf:seriesStatement "African series", "Department of State publication" ; … we can introduce something like the following:
bf:seriesStatement [ a bf:SeriesStatement;
rdfs:label "Department of State publication";
bf:SeriesEnumeration "7902" ],
[ a bf:SeriesStatement;
rdfs:label "African series";
bf:SeriesEnumeration "43" ];
We change the expected value for the property seriesStatement from literal to class SeriesStatement. We can also introduce the class SeriesEnumeration as a subclass of SeriesStatement.
Attached is the OCLC MARC converted to BIBFRAME 2.0 and serialized in turtle format.
I will address hasSeries in bf:Work in a separate message. The attached file doesn’t make any change to hasSeries in bf:Work.
When a title is issued in multiple series, BIBFRAME does not have a way to associate each series with its numbering. For example, looking at OCLC #45898, as converted by the LC program, we find the following.
bf:seriesStatement "African series",
"Department of State publication" ;
In neither the Work nor the Instance can enumeration be associated with its series for the purpose of search or display. This is a significant step back from current practice.