Hi Everyone -

Please join us for the next in our regular monthly series of free Department of the Library Park Ranger Speaker Series lectures, entitled "The Old Stone House in Georgetown" on Tuesday, May 16th from 1:00 - 1:45 pm in Stewart Lee Udall Department of the Interior Building's Rachel Carson Room.

The Old Stone House, located at 3051 M Street in Georgetown, is the oldest structure on its original foundation in Washington, D.C. The house was built in 1765 by Christopher Layman, a cabinetmaker by trade, as both a residence and a place of business. It has served many functions over it 250-plus years, such as shop for hats, tailors, locksmiths, clockmakers, house roofers and house painters, as well as a middle class home. The property was the site of a used car dealership when the federal government purchased it in 1953. The National Park Service opened the house to the public in 1960. Although it is preserved for its pre-Revolutionary architecture and historical prominence, it was originally saved from the wrecking ball through a case of mistaken identity and a desire to remember George Washington.

Please join Park Ranger Michael Zwelling of Rock Creek Park on an exploration of the intersection of our first president and the unassuming building on “M” Street in the heart of Georgetown.

All that are interested are invited.  The Rachel Carson Room is located in the basement level of the Stewart Lee Udall Department of the Interior Building, towards the back of and adjacent to the Interior Department cafeteria.  The Stewart Lee Udall Department of the Interior Building is located at 1849 C Street, NW in Washington.  Space for the program is limited so please go to the following link to register:

https://docs.google.com/a/nbc.gov/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGgtcWo5SGpfN3VNNVFobVNSTThyaXc6MQ#gid=0

If the link above does not work at your location, you may also register at https://www.doi.gov/library/park-ranger-speaker-series-registration-form.

Please also note that we will be offering WebEx webinar access for this program.  If you are interested in remote live access to this program, please note it on the online registration form or send an e-mail to [log in to unmask].

You may contact the Library by phone at (202) 208-5815 or by e-mail at [log in to unmask] for more information about this program and/or directions.   For more information about DOI Library resources and services, please visit the DOI Library's website, located at http://www.doi.gov/library.

We hope you can join us in person or virtually on May 16th!

George Franchois
Director - U.S. Dept. of the Interior Library
Office of the Secretary - Office of Facilities and Administrative Services (OFAS)
1849 C Street, NW, Room 2262, MS 1151
Washington, DC 20240
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]oi.gov
Phone: (202) 208-3796