From: DeLoatch, Ivan [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2017 5:35 PM
To: FGDC Steering Committee
Subject: FGDC June Steering Committee and NGAC meetings canceled

Steering Committee Members,

The FGDC Steering Committee meeting scheduled for June 15, 2017 is being canceled.

As we continue with the on-going transition and to engage new political appointees, we will meet with the FGDC Executive Committee to have more in-depth strategic planning discussions. These discussions should serve to further solidify the strategic objectives and proposed actions that will be part of the next NSDI Strategic Plan. This should also provide for more substantive discussions at the September 8 Steering Committee meeting and additional time for new departmental leadership to be established.

We have also been informed that the Department of the Interior will be conducting a review of the Department's Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA) committees. This pause in activities will allow new DOI leadership to review the purpose and goals of all the Department's advisory committees.  We are awaiting additional guidance on the scope and timing of the review. Given this impending review, we understand it is highly likely that the National Geospatial Advisory Committee (NGAC) meeting in June will not be held and no NGAC presentation would be made at a June Steering Committee meeting.  Until we receive additional guidance from the Department, we are also postponing NGAC subcommittee meetings.

Please understand that this review is not a reflection of the value of the NGAC’s work for the FGDC. The NGAC and its subcommittees have provided valuable and constructive advice and feedback over many years on multiple topics.  In fact, we have had positive feedback from members of the transition landing team on the work of the NGAC and the upcoming work it will be doing related to Landsat, infrastructure, and other topics.  We will keep you informed as we learn more about this review. The NGAC members have been made aware of this pause in activity.

Please contact me or John Mahoney if you have any questions.

Regards,

Ivan B. DeLoatch, Executive Director

Federal Geographic Data Committee

U.S. Geological Survey