I am glad to see us moving in this direction. Regarding the coding and automatic processing of records for rare materials:

Item 1.9 recognizes an allowed practice in DCRM and its predecessors to transcribe all original punctuation in addition to ISBD punctuation. Please note that this also includes terminal punctuation. For example, if an institution is applying the original punctuation option and a title ends with a period, the current encoding of 245 should end with two periods. Same with fields 250, 26x, 490. Appendix D item 1 specifies identification of records to be excluded from processing, with the example of rare materials. Please remember this, in case someone is tempted to disregard subject rare material records to processing that removes terminal punctuation.

New $d for 245 &c. The proposed title is "Subsequent statement of responsibility." It is common for early modern books to have long titles in which clauses of other title information follow a statement of responsibility. Our rules require us to transcribe these in the order that they appear, and we punctuate every clause that follows the first statement of responsibility as subsequent statements of responsibility, regardless of the nature of the information.

The new $d takes care of this situation nicely. However, the definition of $d should be broad enough to accommodate this extremely common situation. (Also for 250.)

Current: 245 10 ‡a Of the nature of things : ‡b in six books / ‡c T. Lucretius Carus ; illustrated with proper and useful notes ; adorned with copper-plates, curiously engraved by Guernier, and others ; in two volumes.

Future: 245 10 ‡a Of the nature of things ‡b in six books ‡c T. Lucretius Carus ‡d illustrated with proper and useful notes ‡d adorned with copper-plates, curiously engraved by Guernier, and others ‡d in two volumes

Deborah J. Leslie, MA, MLS | Senior Cataloger, Folger Shakespeare Library | [log in to unmask] | 201 East Capitol Street, S.E. | Washington, DC 20003 | 202.675-0369 | orcid.org 0000-0001-5848-5467