From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Yang Wang
Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2017 12:12 PM
To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Should a Work description be generated for every cataloged resource? (Question from the PCC SCS/LDAC Task Group on the Work Entity)

Dear Jean,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my questions!

The following response is to all interested forum readers as well.

I was not questioning the methodology used in the research, given the enormity of OCLC’s database and how difficult it must have been to set parameters to cover all bibs.  I was wondering, and I still am, however, if some data sectors, in spite of their inherent limitations (records coded as minimum level, less-than-full, record-unexamined, etc.), may have been inadvertently thrown in, undifferentiated from the top-level cataloged resources (coded DLC, pcc, etc.), as compelling evidence.

“Should a Work description be generated for every cataloged resource?” Well, in my mind, this question should trigger another more specifically defined question: by “every cataloged resource”, does it imply “every fully cataloged, up-to-the current LC/PCC standard resource”? If so, a huge amount of cataloged resources in OCLC should be re-examined individually by catalogers (no, not by software programs) and perhaps must be re-cataloged. Failing that, one could only surmise, if not laugh, at the notion how current or future resource description models would magically take care of such subpar products, cost-saving and all, and through data migration from MARC to [name a model here] would be able to integrate them into the world of linked data. If data are bad (or non-existent), how good could linked data be?

To illustrate, let me offer a set of stats of my own. A quick search on William Faulkner in our local database yielded 338 name/title entries. Out of these, only 117 are under some sort of authority control (clusters of undifferentiated editions, translations, compilations, etc.). The rest 216, an alarming 63%, all need authority work and/or need to be re-cataloged properly by today’s RDA/LC/PCC standard. Here are a few examples.

Name/titles for works or expressions:

Go down, Moses, and other stories (OCoLC26958382)
Stallion road : a screen play (OCoLC2032183)
Big woods (OCoLC283897)
Le hameau (The hamlet) (OcoLC4282473)
Schall und Wahn : Roman (OCoLC7300092)

Name/titles as subjects:

Faulkner, William, ‡d 1897-1962. ‡t Fable
Faulkner, William, ‡d 1897-1962. ‡t Hamlet
Faulkner, William, ‡d 1897-1962. ‡t Intruder in the dust
Faulkner, William, ‡d 1897-1962. ‡t Knight's gambit.
Faulkner, William, ‡d 1897-1962. ‡t Sanctuary

I am also curious to know if back then (70s,80s, 90s) it was an option to establish a name/time authority record when used as subject in 600. And when establishing it, one had to justify it in 670 like this (n 79128370):

100 1  Faulkner, William, ‡d 1897-1962. ‡t Sound and fury
670     Kałuża, I. The functioning of sentence structure in the stream-of-consciousness technique of William Faulkner's "The sound and the fury," 1979 (subj.)

All in all, I believe that every cataloged resource must have a work description, just as behind every single author there must be a distinct name authority record.

Your comments are most welcome!

Best regards,
Yang
PUL