From: "Kevin M Randall" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, May 15, 2017 11:27:04 AM
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Removing Punctuation in MARC records (PCC ISBD and MARC Task Group Revised Final Report (2016): a timeline

The biggest obstacle I see is the speed at which ILS vendors will implement programming to properly/legibly display the data. (And in a way that doesn't require massive configuration work on the part of each user institution.) If we're lucky, the bibliographic utilities and cataloging service vendors will provide the option of having punctuation supplied in downloaded/purchased records, for the sake of those libraries whose systems cannot properly or easily handle the punctuation-free records. (And yes, I firmly believe there will be some of those libraries, at least at the beginning.)

Kevin M. Randall

Principal Serials Cataloger

Northwestern University Libraries

Northwestern University