From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jay Bruder
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 8:29 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Cassette repair question

Jeff
     I'll second Gary here. If the cassette has deteriorated to the point that the pressure pad is falling off, there may well be other problems along the transport path which could cause the tape to drag during playback.  Usually you can rehouse a tape without splicing by carefully lifting out the old tape with the original hubs still attached and placing the pancake and leader in a new shell. The fresh lubrication sheets and clean rollers should improve the transport performance. If you don't rehouse the cassette, you'll wonder if you got the best possible transfer from the tape.
Best,
Jay