I have my own issues with his panning, but the source material is amazing..-Matt Sohn

    On Monday, June 12, 2017 12:17 AM, "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

 John Chester - as always - did a meticulous job with the digitizations. There's a lot of novel but sane technical stuff going on with these... 384/32 w phase compensated NagraMaster repro EQ done in the digital domain, and after having worked quite a bit with Betty Cantor's Nagra tapes and once before with Bear's I got a good handle on the w & f profile. Loving 122kHz!!!

The recordings are really cool. Very lifelike, though as stated in the article Bear was a bit of a fiddler and the sound does vary within a night as he moved things around - sometimes in the middle of a song. Nothing Jeffrey Norman couldn't iron out.

And Doc and Merle are masterful.

Jamie Howarth

Please pardon the mispellings and occassional insane word substitution I'm on an iPhone