Yes, this was using the built-in optical input on the G5, and yes the audio was relinearized by the deck before output - the cap was at 16-bit.

While I have not tried DDS drives personally, it is a known-working method AFAIK. Nowadays it would require some kind of expansion slot or bridgeboard since they are SCSI drives, and depending upon the drive, you may need to flash compatible firmware or something. I think the Sony ADT-9000 drive comes recommended and that most? just work out of the box (you know, presuming that it isn't broken). Good resources on software related to this can be found here:

http://pdicamillo.org/~peter/datxtract/

http://www.torstenlang.de/cgi-bin/frameset.pl?FramesetFile=FramesetAppleEnglish.html&NavBarFile=NavBarAppleEnglish.html&Selected=1&InfoFile=Apple/ReadDATXEnglish.html

I only found out about DATxtract via an old ARSCLIST topic, which as it happens was posted by a previous archivist at the same organization dealing with precisely the same problem, nearly ten years ago (the work never ends, ha):

These pieces of software can capture at 4x, deal with mixed freq tapes, generate logs, I think split output by program on the tape, and relinearize 12-bit/32kHz content.

Now, I have not tried any of this myself. Perhaps these DDS drives are difficult to come by in working condition, or else are now in danger of ceasing to work. Perhaps reliable bridgeboards or expansion cards are difficult to find as well. Perhaps even if they are easy to find, they won't have updated drivers. Still, at least we have a place to start - total costs up front should still not be too bad - it's like $100 for one of these Sony ADT-9000s (several around there on eBay right now), $20 for a PCI card (like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/192204993244 ) and...$30 for a cable? That last I'm just guessing - truth is I've never had to work with SCSI before and it might be an even bigger headache than getting a capture card capable of 32kHz input. Hmm...given that...I guess I should target a higher max budget for this putative capture device I was asking for before. Anybody know one that can do 32kHz and costs $150 or less?

Eli Bildirici
(347) 837-8337