I'm not going to get into a metaphysical discussion, but I think that we
can at least agree that digital files are a different kind of object than
LPs.

Look, I'm not the kind of person who thinks vinyl is superior to digital.
I'm also not the kind of person who has to have everything on vinyl, and I
definitely don't buy bad pressings. However, it seems like I got pushed
into the corner where I have to defend LPs. I think that vinyl has its
merits, whether its the ritual of getting the disc out of the sleeve and
playing it, or (more importantly in my opinion) its physical permanence.
It's indisputable that you can leave a vinyl record on a shelf and it'll
play 60 years later. It can even be severely abused and still play. The
same isn't true for a hard disk. However, this point might become
irrelevant in the near future if cloud storage becomes more ubiquitous.