Hi, John,

I have been approached several times for these formats but the huge
quantity of data and the cost of doing the digitization scared off
everyone. Often the contents are secret.

10.5-inch reels of tape (typically "long play," 3600 feet) will record a
bit over 24 hours on one reel. The recorders were generally installed in
pairs with a changeover at some point, typically midnight, with some
overlap on both machines.

Users included broadcast networks (often with fewer tracks) and
government/public safety organizations. One recorder I bought in this
format came with a state police agency 9-1-1 tape still mounted. I no
longer have this format.

To me, this is a different branch of tape recording:

My model of the tape world sees it starting with audio and then further
branches spinning off, with the alphabetical and chronological order
loosely parallel, ending with Video in 1956, about a decade after the
introduction of plastic (not steel/wire) audio tape recording outside
Germany.

---Audio

---Data

---Dictation

---Instrumentation

---Logging

---Video

I think of these as different categories because each field developed
its own set of standards (or, in the case of logging and perhaps
dictation, each company developed their own standards). While one can
operate cross-branch to some extent, it isn't easy.

I have decided to focus on analog Audio and Instrumentation with some
capabilities in digital audio (Sony 2-channel DASH, DAT, Minidisc, and
PCM F1), and limited capabilities in dictation such as micro- and
mini-cassettes and other analog formats using 0.150-inch or 0.25-inch
wide tape.

Cheers,

Richard