WOW! Behind the scenes at Interlochen. I was pleased to read in the
Summer issue of the Association for Recorded Sound Collections
newsletter a long article about the ARSC grant of $9000.00 to
Interlochen for the digitization of open reel tapes during the fall of
2016. 637 tapes have been preserved from 1954 (the year before I was on
staff as stage manager) and 2001. I'm particularly proud that this work
is being done and the help from ARSC, a group I initiated the steering
meetings for in 1965, which founded in 1966. I would hope all my
Interlochen friends, students, and others could read this amazing
account of the work done. Much more needs to be done with recordings
from 1938 and forward. As the initial Exec. Dir. of ARSC, I applaud both
groups for their commitment to preservation and documentation. As one
who participated in some of the performances with the faculty orchestra,
and as counselor at the Academy, I'll be interested to see/hear some of
this work. The article is found in issue no. 144, summer 2017 of the
newsletter which has yet to appear online.