From: "Jamie Howarth" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2017 1:44 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Seeking flutter correction bids

Capstan doesn't work on flutter.

PM me I don't recall quoting that much, and I am always down to look at a
sample. 3.75 IPS is tough unless it's a UHER or something else with low
bias. 96/24 won't work.

I know, I'd like it to be free too, and work on oddball formats but it is
designed for 15IPS and 30IPS.  It works on some 7.5 IPS but below that it's
been rare. Wavelength is physics.

Unfortunately it's of extremely high quality and works wonders on album
masters but it's not a plug-in, it's a process that takes a lotta hours to
do...has specific requirements to work for honest technical reasons, and
that's not practical for some ... plus nobody wants to subcontract to
another restoration shop, but for the record the rate for another
restoration guy to resell is way more flexible than if we're charging a
high-budget label project. And if I know that I can often work a deal.

This is not a commercial discussion but since somebody tossed out a number
publicly it's in bounds to discuss our policy.

And most of the work is done on Ampex ATRs.

Please pardon the mispellings and occassional insane word substitution I'm
on an iPhone

> On Jul 13, 2017, at 00:35, Eero Aro <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> Check Celemony Capstan:
>
> http://www.celemony.com/en/capstan
>
> There is a five day rental option for 200€.
> The purchase sets you back a lot more, 3790 €. Ouch.
>
> Eero
>

> Dave Radlauer wrote
>> Hi --
>> I've got some material in need of fine flutter removal.  I'm an
>> experienced
>> restoration pro, but don't have expertise dealing with flutter.

Please pardon the mispellings and occassional insane word substitution I'm
on an iPhone

> On Jul 12, 2017, at 23:20, Dave Radlauer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Thanks, Tim.  I'm not familiar with this form of distortion.
>
> Is it reversible, repairable or can be minimized?
>
> Dave
>

> On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 7:20 PM, Tim Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
>> Are you sure it's flutter?  On a casual listen I cant hear much if any
>> flutter but on Mamie's Blues  I can hear a lot of tape dropout/spacing
>> loss.
>>
>> Tim Gillett
>> Perth,
>> Western Australia.