I agree with Eli. This looks like just another gift to the industry and its shareholders.

James

All opinions personal , etc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Eli Bildirici
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2017 10:45 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Pre-1972 sound recordings

Doesn't seem like this does anything other than introduce federal penalties and obligations, particularly in a streaming context. These obligations would preempt common-law copyright claims in that context, but only that context. Otherwise, it does not help the orphan works situation at all. Far from enlarging the public domain, new federal protections of all pre-1972 content would apply through to Feb 15, 2067 - essentially using the current 95-year rule, but with Feb 15, 1972 retroactively becoming the publication date. Prima facie this doesn't seem like progress to me.