...flipping-off the cassette door facia panel and aslo mouting the player in a rear-ward-sloping rack mounting....does help a  little visual and physical access to capstan and pinchroller and head access wrt access.

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tim Gillett
Sent: Friday, 21 July 2017 8:28 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Much Trouble with my two TASCAM 122 Mk 2s

Hi Corey,

Interestingly,  the 122 the owner's manual states the pinch roller and capstan should be cleaned  "at least once a day the deck is used"... but without resorting to extra expedients as we've both described, even  as a techie I'd struggle to perform this basic first line daily maintenance. Even with the non standard expedients  the pinch roller and capstan are still tricky to clean, and I'd suggest without  such expedients, or a custom machine mod,  almost impossible.

 Human nature being what it is, unless a basic daily task like this is easy to perform,  it will tend to be skipped. A basic error by Tascam IMO especially as the machine was marketed and regarded as a pro machine, and now seems almost a defacto standard for archives and transfer engineers. A shame as in so many other ways an excellent machine.

Cheers,

Tim Gillett

Perth,
Western Australia