Exactly, Matt! Banks back up and transfer their data periodically, and they will surely have the data on 30-year mortgages when payoff time comes, and beyond.

Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Matthew Snyder
Sent: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 10:42 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Vinyl Sales DOWN - why? See interesting WSJ article today

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 13:12:23 -0500 eliya gwetta <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

"I buy vinyl records because I will be able to play them in 30 years, while my digital files will probably be lost in the next 10 years."

Why will your digital files be lost in the next 10 years? Personal digital preservation requires a proactive approach, but it's not very difficult or expensive. Replenishing and backing up data does require some thought and at least intermittent attention, but if your collection is worth it to you, it's a small price to pay.

--

Matt Snyder | The New York Public Library

Archivist

Special Collections

Library Services Center

31-11 Thomson Avenue, Rm. 202, Long Island City, NY 11101

T: 917.229.9582 | matthewsnyder <http://goog_214053846>@nypl.org <[log in to unmask]>