The Archive of Contemporary Music have a couple of reference books to
date 78's but mostly they are using websearch.  Any help would be
appreciated.

We are planning on transfering 400,000 sides, so we could use all the
help we can get.  We are following this path based on a comment David
Seubert made, as I recall, that the most useful metadata are date,
genre, and location.

-brewster