All,

Due to having been on some committees that were tasked with attempting
to define "the work" I have some thoughts on that topic which I wrote up
as a blog post:

http://kcoyle.blogspot.com/2017/07/the-work.html

In summary, I define four different meanings/aspects:

* Work-ness - a general sense that there are works inherent in creation
* work-description - what library cataloging does to describe works
* work decision - creating an authoritative identity for the work in the
form of a author/uniform title/edition heading
* work entity - the data thing defined in FRBRer, BIBFRAME, RDA/RDF as
"the work"

I welcome comments and discussion.
--
Karen Coyle