I appreciate this analysis of our current predicament.  Karen's conclusion
indicates that we'd benefit by focusing on "services we want the work to
provide in the future" and I agree wholeheartedly.

From my perspective—at a public library where customer demand frequently
prompts us to acquire a single popular title in five formats (print,
large-type, ebook, cd-book, and eaudio)—one helpful service would be to
synchronize series and subject access points.  The same could apply to cast
and crew for DVD and Blu-Ray versions of a single movie.  In terms of
Karen's outline, I see this as closing the gap between "work description"
and "work entity" as much as possible.

Regards,
David

David Pimentel ~ Senior Cataloging and Metadata Librarian
*Denver Public Library* ~ 720.865.1123 <(720)%20865-1123>