Greetings,

I am the NACO coordinator at my library, but I'm newer to this than my
co-workers who submit NARs to me for adding to the NAF. Recently someone
submitted a NAR to me for Bookheim, Louis W. $c (Law librarian). This Louis
W. Bookheim wrote a book under that name, but the book advertisement
referred to him as Louis W. (Bill) Bookheim. Research online indicates that
he was commonly referred to as Bill.

There is another record for Bookheim, Louis W. who appears to be the father
of the author for the book in hand (research of the first Bookheim leads me
to believe that he is a "Jr."). Hence the need to qualify the more recent
NAR for Louis W. Bookheim.

I was inclined to establish the name as Bookheim, Bill $q (Louis W.).
However, the person who submitted this record to me said that it's not okay
to qualify a nickname in $q (it doesn't say this in RDA or MARC formats
documentation - I was informed that prior to RDA it was not allowed).

I would like to know your collective wisdom on this topic. Which is a
better (or more acceptable) construction:

Bookheim, Louis W. $c (Law librarian) (with a cross reference to Bookheim,
Bill)

or

Bookheim, Bill $q (Louis W.)

Thanks!