From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Robert Maxwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Friday, July 7, 2017 at 4:55 PM
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Author who uses different forms of forename

Choose the most common form. From your evidence it looks like it might be Antonio. However, be sure you’re looking at usage in OCLC, not access points. There are 67 English-language records, as you say, that use the access point “Malpica, Antonio, 1967-“ but I notice the usage on some of those (as evidenced by transcriptions in 245 fields)  is Toño. Also a lot of the records under both access points are duplicates so you can’t just count up records that use one or the other access point. You need to use your best judgment and decide which form appears the most often.

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University