The heading was established under AACR2, and with RDA came along they put the “Professor of law” into parenthesis to minimize the disruption.  If it came as a new heading today, we would use the generic “Law teacher” in the $c, since “professor” is really a rank that is subject to frequent changes, and in many countries, teachers of law use other titles (e.g. “Lecturer” which in the US implies an adjunct but in other countries indicates something more lofty).  This is something we were told not to change.

Aaron Kuperman, LC Law Cataloging Section.

This is not an official communication from my employer

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Christopher Thomas
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2017 1:16 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PCCLIST] (Professor of law) as personal name qualifier

I just came across the following name, established by LC:

Siegelman, Peter (Professor of law)

https://lccn.loc.gov/n2009079304

When I establish personal names for law professors and a qualifier is needed, I generally use (Law teacher) based on the LCSH term, since LC-PCC PS for 9.16.1.3 indicates that controlled vocabulary terms are to be preferred.  There is no applicable LCDGT term I can find.  Does anyone know what controlled vocabulary “Professor of law” might have come from, or other rationale for using it?  I’m not going to change this one, but thinking about what I should use in the future.

Christopher Thomas, M.L.S.| Electronic Resources and Metadata Librarian

(949) 824-7681 | fax (949) 824-6700 | [log in to unmask]

Law Library · University of California · Irvine

www.law.uci.edu/library