This comes up periodically on different lists.  As John Hostage indicated, there used to be an LCRI telling you how to capitalize in exactly this situation.  That LCRI was cancelled and not replaced by anything, so now different catalogers take attitudes ranging from "It's wrong to do that now" to "You can and should use judgment to continue this practice."  That results in variation but we can probably live with it.

Robert Rendall
Principal Serials Cataloger
Original and Special Materials Cataloging, Columbia University Libraries
102 Butler Library, 535 West 114th Street, New York, NY 10027
tel.: 212 851 2449  fax: 212 854 5167