In general, I agree with this advice. I certainly do for LPs. I realize
the perceived need to speed up the process, but, IMHO, you are better
off doing two or three real time transfers in parallel than speeding up
a single transfer.

There are some specific instances where I transfer at
different-than-recorded speed:

(1) Micro and mini cassettes: I load them into standard cassette shells
and then transfer at 1.88 in/s, slowing down the recording by a factor
of 2 or 4 for the micro cassette and using a pitch mapping program for
mini cassettes.

(2) Logging tapes: I transfer them at the slowest speed I can on
whatever reel machine can be fitted with the proper head. I then slow
down as needed. These sounded terrible reproduced on machines designed
for the purpose back in the day.

(3) Instrumentation tapes: I optimize the on-tape bandwidth to the audio
converter bandwidth and then adjust in playback. Faster than real time
allows extended low frequency response inherent in FM channels...but if
I transfer FM for later demodulation, I will sometimes need to transfer
at slower than real time to capture the carrier and its upper excursions.

(4) Squealing reel tapes: Sometimes these can be made to not squeal by
running them at 2x or 4x recorded speed.

Just a few thoughts to munch on.

Cheers,

Richard