If OCLC included a substantial number of "Jackson, Tom" headings controlled
by the n 50027953 authority, one could make a case for changing its 100 to
"Jackson, Tom, 1932-" (with the related name/title NARs) and deleting the
other authority to resolve the conflicts and take advantage of OCLC's
automated updating functionality. But I haven't found any of the many
relevant bib records controlled by the undated authority.

On the other hand, all the OCLC bib records for "Jackson, Tom, 1932-" are
controlled by their authority, so in terms of dynamic relation to the bib
file, that authority is more important.

What I wound not do is add "400 1 $a Jackson, Tom $w nne" to the more
recent authority. In our Alma catalog, that would have the effect of
changing all our "Jackson, Tom" headings to "Jackson, Tom, 1932-", which we
would prefer not to see happen. Likwewise, eliminating the authority for an
undated heading in a case like this would be better for catalogs like
ours.  Changing the existing heading by adding the date would add the date
willy-nilly to all our "Jackson, Tom" authors, since Alma automatically
controls them (where OCLC does not.)

Stephen

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist