Not all sacred works are title only.  There are some that are author/title, e.g.  Baháʼuʼlláh, $d 1817-1892. $t Kitāb al-aqdas.  So for these, $v Commentaries is a valid construction in LCSH.

Adam Schiff

University of Washington Libraries

________________________________
From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Yang Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, August 4, 2017 9:38:50 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Form subdivision--Commentaries

“--the proper solution is to mark the subdivision usage itself as invalid”

Yes, I agree, if the commonly used subject validation program could detect it, for instance, if “600” present, then “$v Commentaries” is invalid.  My point is, as thousands of new bib records enter OCLC daily and then pass onto thousands of individual institutions, would it be possible for OCLC/FAST to catch and mark them as questionable or invalid (thus no ‡2 fast ‡0 (OCoLC)fst01423723)? One would think it would be both efficient and economical to do so. Otherwise, the effort would be thousand fold more expensive.

Yang