From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kaelin Rasmussen
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2017 15:04
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [PCCLIST] incorrect dates in 100 field

Hello all,
It was brought to our attention by a patron that the heading for Pollock, Charles, 1832-1910 (NAR n  99284598) contains incorrect birth and death dates.  This heading represents a photograph publisher active in Boston. Using the Boston directory and Massachusetts vital statistics records, I've been able to verify that this person's dates are in fact 1828-1900.
I would like to change the 100 to Pollock, Charles, 1828-1900, and put the incorrect dates in a 400, coded $w nnea. But I have not been able to find the source of the dates 1832-1910 (outside of the 670 representing an OCLC search from 2000), and I'm hesitant to change the 100 without being able to do so.

Should I go ahead and change the 100 field to correct this apparent error? What would others do in this case?

It's a question of about 50 linked bib records in OCLC, but the error extends to VIAF (VIAF ID: 53487251) as well.
Thanks,
Kaelin Rasmussen

--
Kaelin Rasmussen