From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Gene Fieg
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2017 6:42 PM

> Just a question here.  Do "sketches" refer to physical art or to "sketches" of his music.  The scope
> note for Musical sketches is: Here are entered tentative drafts or preliminary studies, in
> manuscript, facsimile or transcription, for musical works.
>
> Scope note too clear here does it also refer to studies about musical works.  I would have
> thought it would only refer to the music.
>
> In any case, why not replace Sketches with Musical sketches in the authority records,
> using he term from LCSH ?

"Sketches" is a long-used prescribed term under AACR2 (25.35B) and under RDA (6.18.1.5) for this sort of material.  True, "Musical sketches" is clearer, especially if the preferred title is vague (e.g., Works. Selections) and the composer not so well known as a composer.

--
Mark K. Ehlert                 O'Shaughnessy-Frey Library
Cataloging and Metadata        University of St. Thomas

Verona," Act I, Scene iii