Dear PCCLIST readers,

Thanks to Joyce Bell for her insight into this situation, and her suggestion "having such a reference could be helpful for finding the heading, and also for feeling confident that it is the right match."

That being the case, this variant access point

 ʻAbd al-ʻAzīz b. Marwān, ǂc Governor of Egypt, ǂd -704 or 705

can be added to LCCN n  90689938.

However, as I said before (and based on experience), I'm reluctant to make any edits to this NAR.  Simply adding this field (along with a supporting 670) would not be a problem, if only it were OK to simply leave the rest of the record as is - which means, coded as AACR2, and retaining the 667 field.  But my understanding is that, whenever any edits are made to a name authority record that is not coded for RDA, it's required that an upgrade be made. Here’s the source for that:

Descriptive Cataloging Manual — Z1. Name and Series Authority Records — 008 Field Data Elements — 008/10 Descriptive Cataloging Rules

When an existing NAR using code "a", "b", "c", or "d" is modified in any way, evaluate the NAR and re-code it to RDA, changing the 008/10 code accordingly.

Sincerely - Ian

Ian Fairclough

George Mason University

703-993-2938