Ah, you're right, he is talking about different works.  His use of the term "editions" threw me off.  My apologies.

					Steve McDonald

From: Program for Cooperative Cataloging [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Robert Maxwell
Sent: Monday, August 7, 2017 2:25 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PCCLIST] Addition to $k Selections

Slide 140ff is the correct section for this question. If you have different sets of selections, they are different aggregate works. So they are differentiated at the work level, which is what slides 140ff is talking about.

6.27.1.9 says to differentiate using form of work, date of work, place of origin of work, or other distinguishing characteristic of work. Which you choose depends on your judgment: which one will be most useful to help the catalog user find the selection he/she wants?

Note: at the work level, all qualifiers are given in parentheses with no subfield coding (e.g., no subfield $s, seen in Ivan's original post).

The original question was " My choices are ... and I want to know which one is correct or appropriate." The answer is, the one you think is the most helpful to the user. I personally think date of work is usually the least helpful (because users by and large don't know when aggregate works were first published) but other catalogers may come to other conclusions.

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University