In this case, there is evidence for only one Tom Jackson on the "Jackson,
Tom" authority. Looking back through the authority record's history in
OCLC, that's always been the case.

Having the cancelled LCCN in subfield $z gives me access to the current
record in OCLC, but not to the cancelled record. Is there another way to
retrieve cancelled records?

In MARC Discussion Paper No. 2006-DP03, Incorporation of Former Headings
into MARC21 Authority Records, there was a discussion of the issue of how
to preserve the history of an entity's earlier established heading forms. MARC
Proposal No. 2007-02 f
<https://www.loc.gov/marc/marbi/2007/2007-02.html>ollowed
from this, resulting in the creation of $w/1 code h, "no reference
structure", which is intended to block a 4XX from indexing and coming in
conflict with existing 1XXs. The LC Guidelines for the MARC Authority
Format do not include "h" in the list of values not to be used in $w/1

So, is that a live option in a case like this?

Stephen

--
Stephen Hearn, Metadata Strategist
University of Minnesota